Sunday, March 8, 2009

Running goals

I am a pretty avid runner. During my peak running I run probably 50 miles a week. I really got into running last year after I graduated from college and discovered that I really needed a way to stay fit because I have a desk job. It's turned into an obsession for me. If I skip a run, I feel like crap just like most avid runners.

Here are some goals I came up with for the year with the races I'm planning on running at this point:

  • Shamrock Shuffle (8k)-40:00 minutes.
  • Illinois Marathon(Half Marathon) - I'd like to PR with a 1:50
  • Chicago Half Marathon -1:45
  • Oakbrook Half Marathon -1:40 (last year 1:55)
  • either Milwaukee or Chicago 4:15 (last year 5:05)

To accomplish my goals, I am following the Higdon Intermediate I plan (link). The Higdon plans are the 'go to' plans for many marathon runners. I'm also going to be doing yoga once a week. Runner's World talks about the health benefits and the cross-training benefits for runners all the time (link). I'm going to be doing speed work once a week.They're tough but they're very helpful in getting better as a runner. I'll be doing two work outs on Monday (running at work 5mi and the Dick Pond fun run 5 mi) and two work outs on Wednesday (yoga at work and speedwork). Needless to say my Tuesday and Thursday runs will be light ones.

Things that I'm worried about
  • Shin splints-they flaired up last year and I had a scare earlier this year when running outside.
  • IT band issues-My IT bands are ridiculously tight so I'm hoping yoga can help me out with that.
  • Ultimate frisbee-I started playing ultimate again on Sundays, so I'm hoping I don't hurt myself like so many of my friends have done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment