Wednesday, April 14, 2010

my GTD/organization system

I think the most important way to understand an organization system is to map it out and figure out the gaps.

Tools
  • Cell phone-alarm clock, calendar for major events
  • Google calendar-Whenever I get a calendar invite on Lotus Notes at work, I post it to my Google Calendar so I can see what my week or day looks like when I'm not at work.
  • mind maps (software and hand drawn)  these are my to do lists and references. If I'm listening to a podcast and hear about a cool band or think of something that I need to do, then I add it to the mind map. I much prefer the hand drawn mindmap, but for storage and organization it becomes challenging so from time to time, I incorporate my hand drawn mind maps to a massive mind map done in Freemind. 
  • Post it notes-this is for the one-off additional info that doesn't need to make it to a page i.e. a reminder or a phone number with call in number for a conference call.
  • Dry erase board at home for major/critical to-do items
  • Blank paper to to-do list quick turnover items-tasks that will be complete that day. 
  • Color-highlighters/color ink to accent items in the to-do list. I try to only stick to a few colors or the colors themselves can become a distraction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment